One of the easier ways to keep an eye on problems without going up onto the roof is to look for signs of potential problems from within.
Take a little time and do an indoor roof inspection (especially in the attic if you have one and it’s accessible), if you see any of these signs, callÂ your local roof contractor immediately to prevent further damage and even catastrophe!.
- Sagging decking between the rafters. If the decking is sagging or deteriorating, the decking will also require replacement when a new roof is installed.
- Outside light that can be seen through the roof. This may be common (and not a problem) on shake roofs, since the wooden shakes will swell during the wet months, effectively preventing any leaks
- Signs of leaking in the attic (dark spots in the wood, especially around vents, chimneys, and other holes to the roof).
- Test dark spots in the wood to decide if they are old or current problems. If the spot is still wet, or if it is soft (test with a screwdriver), the spot is a current problem. If the spot is dry and hard, it is most likely an old problem that has been fixed.
- Signs of water damage or leaking (usually in the form of water stains, or sagging ceilings)–this could be due to an active leak in the roof or to condensation caused by poor roof ventilation.
Any of these signs may indicate the need for immediate repair or even a new roof entirely. After your free inspection fromÂ your local roof contractor you will be able to make the decision on what is best for you and your house.
If your roof is older, sometimes the costs of constantly repairing a roof can outweigh the costs of replacing the roof, both in terms of money and aggravation. Having a professional contractor come out and explain the problems and solutions available will arm you with the information you need to make the right decision.
Call Atlanta Roofing Specialists at 770-419-2222 for a complete roof inspection and save your roof and your money today!